[Dovecot] dovecot.index

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 10 20:10:16 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 09:47 -0800, Ermurachi Ion wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can't  locate the dovecot.index in my ~/Maildir
>
> [root at fedora-p24 Maildir]# ls
> cur                  dovecot-uidlist               new
> dovecot.index.cache  dovecot-uidvalidity           subscriptions
> dovecot.index.log    dovecot-uidvalidity.4b1e77ef  tmp
>
> Where is the dovecot.index ?

dovecot.index is updated/created lazily from dovecot.index.log to reduce
disk I/O. Your dovecot.index.log hasn't grown large enough yet.

> The IMAP UIDVALIDITY is 4b1e77ef (in HEX)
> [root at fedora-p24 Maildir]# cat dovecot-uidvalidity
> 4b1e77ef

UIDVALIDITY is stored in dovecot-uidlist file's header. The
dovecot-uidvalidity file contains the last assigned UIDVALIDITY value
(or maybe the next one, I can't remember), and it's used only when
creating new mailboxes.