[Dovecot] Mail root to root and permissions problem

Benny Pedersen me at junc.org
Tue Dec 15 15:11:28 EET 2009

On tir 15 dec 2009 11:41:41 CET, Steffen Kaiser wrote

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Antonello Onida wrote:
>
>> I got a non perfect installation: when an internal mail has been
>> sent i got this error:
>
> You don't get this error, when receiving an external message??
>
>> <error>
>> ex: from root@*     to root@*.
>> Command output: Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot.log: Permission denied
>> </error>
>> Operations like "dovecot: 2009-12-15 11:17:24 Warning: Killed with
>> signal 15" are writen.
>> It's a permission problem: dovecot.log is owned by "root" and
>> grupped by "adm" (chmodded 640).
>
> At first shot (if you would always get the error), I would say, you
> use system users and those users must not write to the log file.
>
> Add write-permission for all (chmod a+w) or reconfigure Dovecot to
> let deliver use syslog:
>
> protocol lda {
>    # Log to syslog
>   log_path =
>   info_log_path =
>   syslog_facility = mail
> }

or more simple :)

mkdir -p /var/log/dovecot
chown dovecot /var/log/dovecot
# chgrp mail /var/log/dovecot
configure global dovecot to use logdir as /var/log/dovecot

rule to remember is permissons got the parent permissions, and this is
why it fails above

please correct me if i am wrong

--
xpoint