[Dovecot] Auth Fails, But Can Still Get Mail

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 15 22:13:18 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 13:03 -0700, Asai wrote:
> > I guess. Or something else running on localhost trying to log in as
> > other users?
> >

> What method would I use to debug this?  Does Dovecot have a debug console?

Does Squirrelmail log when it attempts to authenticate a user? That
would be the easiest way. The other possibility that I can think of
would be to catch the process in netstat -pn output, but running that at
the correct time could be a bit difficult. Or I suppose you could just
make a script that runs it every second and saves the output and current
time and ps output. Then when you see a log failure, look up the correct
netstat output and see which process has a connection to Dovecot.