[Dovecot] CRAM-MD5 in Python

Andre am at am.cx
Wed Dec 16 18:11:49 EET 2009

Hi to all!
I’m writing a python module (python+sqlalchemy) to manage user and domain configuration on my system (I hope to get a CLI tool, a Web app and even a native Mac app, via PyObjc, from my lib).
I’m implementing password crypto, but I have some problem in generating CRAM-MD5 password, dovecot style.
I’ve found an old discussion on this mailing list and a piece of Perl that works, but I need to implement it in Python; I’ve even read code (hmac-md5.c), but before start hard coding (hard from my POV at least, since I’ve never worked with crypto algorithms in a deep way), is there anyone that have had solved the problem or has any idea on how to approach it?

TIA
Andre