[Dovecot] Why dovecot does not want to read my acl file?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 16 21:36:23 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 15:56 +0900, Lukas Haase wrote:
> In the meantime I also tried something else: I added the user "dovecot"
> to the "office" group:
>
> # id dovecot
> uid=107(dovecot) gid=106(dovecot) groups=51683(office),106(dovecot)
>
> Now I can read the file too as user dovecot (su dovecot).

Don't do that. dovecot is an internal user for internal purposes. It
shouldn't have access to anything on your filesystem.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/UserIds

> Dec 16 07:53:51 mail dovecot: IMAP(peter): acl vfile: no access to file
> /var/mail/shared/.Office/dovecot-acl
>
> > I just do not understand. The process runs as user peter and complains
> > that it is unable to open the ACL file. But the file is definitively
> > readable for user peter, as I checked with su. Also the error is gone
> > when I set the directory to 755 ... that sounds really strange for me...

The difference is that su gives you access to all of the user's groups,
while in your setup your userdb probably is returning only one of them
(and probably not the one you expect).

> drwxrwx--- 5 root office 4096 Dec 15 15:53 .Office

Why are your files and directories owned by root, instead of peter?