[Dovecot] CRAM-MD5 in Python

Andrea Mistrali am at am.cx
Thu Dec 17 10:22:17 EET 2009

On 16/dic/2009, at 20.01, Nick Douma wrote:

> On 16-12-2009 17:11, Andre wrote:
>> Hi to all!
>> I’m writing a python module (python+sqlalchemy) to manage user and domain configuration on my system (I hope to get a CLI tool, a Web app and even a native Mac app, via PyObjc, from my lib).
>> I’m implementing password crypto, but I have some problem in generating CRAM-MD5 password, dovecot style.
>> I’ve found an old discussion on this mailing list and a piece of Perl that works, but I need to implement it in Python; I’ve even read code (hmac-md5.c), but before start hard coding (hard from my POV at least, since I’ve never worked with crypto algorithms in a deep way), is there anyone that have had solved the problem or has any idea on how to approach it?
>>
>> TIA
>> Andre
>
> If the module is always going to run on a machine with dovecot
> installed, you could call from your script:
>
> $ dovecotpw -s CRAM-MD5 -p <password>

I know, I thought to do in this way, but it introduces an unnecessary and strong dependency. Imagine of a web server running the administration interface, that is not even the IMAP server (I know I can install only common dovecot components) or imagine to write a OSX/Windows Administration tool (I would like to write a Xcode/PyOBjc tool).

Anyway, I’ll give a try to module hmac.

Andre