[Dovecot] Upgrade 1.0->1.2 dbox mysql

Bradley Giesbrecht bradley.giesbrecht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 18:02:10 EET 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 7:26 AM, Benny Pedersen wrote:

> On tor 17 dec 2009 21:30:37 CET, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote
>
>> Most everything seems to work but my webmail (roundcube) clients
>> are not seeing their subscribed folders.
>
> roundcube 0.3.1 > settings > server settings > Use IMAP
> Subscriptions (togle)

Thank you.

The problem ended up being that since my upgrade from 1.1x to 1.2x
yesterday the mail box locations have moved inside a directory named
"mailboxes". I don't have the word "mailboxes" in any configuration I
set so dovecot 1.2 must have added this. This was not the case with my
dovecot 1.1 before the upgrade.

I had:

/opt/local/var/mail/domain/user/dbox/INBOX

now:

/opt/local/var/mail/domain/user/dbox/mailboxes/INBOX

Since I could not figure out how to stop this behavior I just went
with it and moved everyones old mailboxes to the new location in the
wee hours of this morning.
I renamed the mailboxes that were created yesterday before doing so.
Thank goodness I have less then a hundred imap users.

I wish I understood dovecots directory vars better.

What is mail_location used for?

What is the userdb_home returned from my passdb and userdb used for?

Would userdb_home ever not start with the complete mail_location path?

Reading the docs leaves me puzzled and I end up just trying things
till something works.

I'm updating the MacPorts dovecot port to 1.2 and I'd like to be able
to explain to the MacPorts user base the changes to dovecot 1.1x
configurations needed for a easy upgrade.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht