[Dovecot] dovecot: pipe() failed: Too many open files

JW jw at mailsw.com
Fri Dec 18 23:47:14 EET 2009

In the past few months we've been having increasing problems with dovecot
timing out pop3 logins.

As best I can tell it gets to the point where it won't accept any new pop3
logins.

The error in the mail log is:

dovecot: pipe() failed: Too many open files

I've researched this problem a number of times, usually I see suggestions to
increase ulimit.

I've done this a number of times, all the way up to:

ulimit -n 8192

I've put that in the init script right above the daemon start line.

So far it hasn't helped.

In addition, when looking at lsof, it doesn't seem like we're anywhere near
the actual limit. for example, last time dovecot only had 1032 files open.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the error? Or what else I can
try to figure this out?

Thank you,

	JW