[Dovecot] Openbsd Postfix-Dovecot-SASL

thekat roundkat at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 17:37:35 EET 2009

Greetings all,

I have a OpenBSD /Dovecot server at home running and sending / receiving
email "internally" without issue..
Recently, I set up the same at our Parish, but one of our users wants to get
their email externally.

The user can read their email but has to "send" via the local ISP server..

The problem
After much searching I have not found an answer to my question.
I would like the user to authenticate to be able to "send" email "through"
the server..
OpenBSD uses bsdauth by default in Dovecot.
After reading the Postfix
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html
and the Dovecot Wiki
http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL

I have tried multiple configurations but I can't seem to get this to work..
It may be something very simple that I am missing..

All users on the Server have accounts in /etc/passwd (just no shell)

Postfix - main.cf
mailbox_command = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =  permit_mynetworks,
    permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination

dovecot --version
1.1.16

dovecot -n
# OS: OpenBSD 4.6 i386
base_dir: /var/dovecot/
protocols: imaps
listen: *, [::]
ssl_cert_file: /etc/ssl/dovecotcert.pem
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_user: _dovecot
login_max_processes_count: 256
max_mail_processes: 32
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
mbox_write_locks: fcntl
imap_client_workarounds: delay-newmail netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
auth default:
  cache_size: 1024
  passdb:
    driver: bsdauth
    args: cache_key=%u
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/run/auth-client
      mode: 432
      user: _postfix
    master:
      path: /var/run/auth-master
      mode: 384
      user: _postfix

Error using bsdauth
Dec 21 15:07:09 aml000t3 dovecot: dovecot v1.1.16 starting up
Dec 21 15:07:09 aml000t3 dovecot: Panic: auth(default): file passdb.c: line
190 (passdb_init): assertion failed: (passdb->passdb->default_pass_scheme !=
NULL || passdb->passdb->cache_key == NULL)
Dec 21 15:07:09 aml000t3 dovecot: child 18954 (auth) killed with signal 6
(core not dumped)
Dec 21 15:07:09 aml000t3 dovecot: Fatal: Auth process died too early -
shutting down

It looks like bsdauth has a bug and even though this thread "lists" a patch,
I haven't been able
to find it..
http://old.nabble.com/bsdauth-with-cache_key-failed-ts25800484.html#a25800484

so I guess I am looking for an alternative to be able to allow users to
"send through the server"

Thx for any pointers
tk