[Dovecot] dovecot-1.2.8 imap crash (with backtrace)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 23 03:17:08 EET 2009

On 22.12.2009, at 16.42, David Halik wrote:

> I just double checked and we're seeing the same thing here, although we were never running with "noac" to begin with. Our poor NFS server would melt probably. ;)
>
> This is immediately before the crash:
>
> Dec 22 13:09:20 gehenna14.rutgers.edu dovecot: IMAP(user): fdatasync(/rci/nqu/rci/u5/bruben/dovecot/.INBOX/dovecot-uidlist) failed: Stale NFS file handle

The interesting this is that this function is called only when dovecot-uidlist.lock has been created, i.e. when uidlist is locked, meaning nothing should have deleted the dovecot-uidlist while it was being written to, so this error just shouldn't happen.. So apparently the dotlocking just isn't working properly for your NFS servers. See if dotlock_use_excl=no helps?