[Dovecot] sieve vs deliver -m

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Mon Dec 28 22:56:04 EET 2009

On December 28, 2009 8:30:11 PM +0100 Stephan Bosch <stephan at rename-it.nl>
wrote:
> What exactly are you trying to achieve here? Do you want to execute the
> Sieve script only when no -m parameter is specified for deliver? Why? You
> can also use the subaddress extension in Sieve and get rid of the -m
> parameter altogether.

In this specific case, I'm trying to make sure a message *at least*
gets filed into the folder specified by the extension, regardless of
whatever else happens to it.  I don't want a mistake or some other
action in a sieve script to cause it to get misfiled.  I would like
the sieve scripts to run but also I want to guarantee that the message
makes it into the folder specified by +extension.

I've solved it for now by making sure all such mail for this account
is addressed with +extensions, and have eliminated the sieve script
for this user.  Which is probably a good solution for me in the long
term as well.

-frank