[Dovecot] Design: Optimizations for high-latency storage backend

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 29 21:06:25 EET 2009

Oh, and doing all the prefetching stuff is made a lot easier by
implementing the filesystem API change I had talked about previously (so
at least indexes and dbox code would do all FS access via the API). And
the FS API change will be a lot easier if doesn't need to support things
like locking or overwriting data, so to do that also requires redesign
of index files. I don't remember if I wrote specifics of that to this
mailing list, but I've thought out most of that too. And the index
redesign is the reason I'm considering v3.0 as the next version number
after v2.0. (Although v2.1 might also come with some smaller new
features while I'm also working on v3.0 features.)