[Dovecot] pop3+leave messages on server

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 29 22:08:24 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 09:48 +0100, Papp Tamas wrote:
> I have a user with Outlook and he uses pop3 and leaves messages on server.
>

> Sometimes the messages get downloaded again, when he starts the outlook.
> Not all, but 7-9 hours back.
>
> uidl format is like it's suggested:
>
>   pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv

dovecot -n output could be helpful. Also did you look at logs? Maybe
there are errors. http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging

Anyway, the possible reasons:

1) Dovecot changed the UIDLs because something weird happened. In that
case it logged an error.

2) Did you use the courier migration script so that the UIDLs got
converted to Dovecot? If not, maybe Outlook got confused because the
UIDLs changed, and fixing it would require recreating the Outlook
account or something..

3) Outlook just doesn't like the new UIDLs and messes up itself. I think
Courier usually uses maildir filenames as UIDLs, you could have kept
doing that with pop3_uidl_format=%f. But changing it now would cause
users to redownload everything again.. With v1.2.5+ you could use
pop3_save_uidl=yes to make it possible to change UIDLs on the fly.