[Dovecot] Question about log entries

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 29 22:10:03 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 13:56 -0600, Cliff Hayes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What does this information mean and how is it relevant?
> I cannot find documentation other than a brief description in dovecot.conf:
>
> %t - number of TOP commands
> %p - number of bytes sent to client as a result of TOP command

POP3's TOP command retrieves only message headers. I don't think clients
use it much (if ever).

> %r - number of RETR commands
> %b - number of bytes sent to client as a result of RETR command

RETR commands actually download the mail. So these show how many times a
client downloaded message, and how many bytes of message data was sent
to client as a result of that.

They're statistics. You either care about those numbers or you don't.