[Dovecot] dovecot-1.2.8 imap crash (with backtrace)

David Halik dhalik at jla.rutgers.edu
Wed Dec 30 02:09:33 EET 2009

On 12/29/2009 6:18 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Wonder if there's a corresponding "Expunged message reappeared, giving a
> new UID (old uid=x)" having "Dupliate file entry .. (uid x ->  " for each
> log line? Meaning that the duplicate file entries are caused by those
> reappearing messages? (And the reappearing messages are probably caused
> by dentry caching issues.)

I'm wondering there are multiple causes going on that all spawn the same
error. Is some instances, yes I do see the "Duplicate file..." preceding
the error, in some instances I don't, but I do get the NFS stale message
then. The output above just happens to be from during the duplicate
instance.

>> Dec 24 10:44:38 gehenna11 dovecot: IMAP(user): Panic: file
>> maildir-uidlist.c: line 405 (maildir_uidlist_records_array_delete):
>> assertion failed: (pos != NULL)
>>

> If it complains about values being optimized away, recompile without
> -O2. I usually do that by just removing it from
> src/lib-storage/index/maildir/Makefile and touch dovecot-uidlist.c and
> make + make install.

I'll definitely get back to you on this. Right now we're closed until
after New Years and I don't want to go updating the dovecot package on
all of our servers until we're all back at work. I did do some quick
poking around and the count is optimized out, so I'll have the package
rebuilt without optimization and let you what the values are at the
beginning of next week. Thanks again.