[Dovecot] dovecot-shared

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Wed Dec 30 16:43:52 EET 2009

On December 29, 2009 3:03:56 AM -0500 Frank Cusack <fcusack at fcusack.com>
wrote:
> I was just thinking today it would be nice to have per-USER private or
> shared.  So e.g. all users by default might share \Seen \Answered but
> some admin users have private \Seen, and don't have to worry about
> resetting the \Seen flag when investigating for problems.

Perhaps not such a good idea, as I just realized there is then a conflict
on deciding which flags are set.  Do the shared flags take precedence,
so that when you enter a mailbox you see the effects of previous action?
Of course that doesn't make sense b/c then there's no point of private
flags but if used for admin purposes as I suggest, you never see the
mailbox as other users see it (wrt the private flags).

Which brings me to another question.  How is the filename manipulated
when there are private flags?  I wrote a cron job for a previous case
I mentioned where flags are shared, to "expunge" messages from a shared
mailbox which is on a different filesystem than the users' and the
lazy_expunge plugin is in effect.  It looks for :2,*T* in the filename.
I suppose it wouldn't make sense to make the T flag private but I'm
curious.

-frank