[Dovecot] Issue Authenticating to a new dovecot-postfix installation

Anthony Nedland anthony.nedland at baldwin-telecom.net
Wed Dec 30 22:55:15 EET 2009

I have installed dovecot-postfix and postfixadmin on an Ubuntu 9.10
machine.
The userdb and passdb are both mysql.
If I set up a user in postfixadmin they are able to send.
I can successfully telnet into the server remotely by name on 110 and 25.
I'm not looking for any authentication encryption/ssl any of that, just
POP3/SMTP.
When I telnet into 110 I can enter a username with user [username] then
when I do pass [password] I get -ERR Authentication failed.
I know the user info is correct.
When I set up an account in Outlook Express I get "There was a problem
logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected:" Also saying
-ERR Authentication failed.'. (0x800ccc90,0x800ccc92)
So basically the same thing.
I can attach the tutorial I used in as a .doc if that would help.
Anyway, here is my relevant info I think.

Version 1.1.11
dovecot-sql.conf GREP

driver = mysql
connect = host=localhost dbname=postfix user=postfix password=password
default_pass_scheme = PLAIN
user_query = SELECT '/var/vmail/%d/%n' as home,
'maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n' as mail, 150 AS uis, 8 AS gid,
concat(dirsize:storage=',quota) AS quota FROM mailbox WHERE username =
'%u' AND active = 1
password_query = SELECT username as user, password, '/var/vmail/%d/%n'
as userdb_home,'maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n' as userdb_mail, 150 as
userdb_uid, 8 as userdb_gid FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u' AND
active = 1

root at mail:/etc/dovecot# dovecot -n
# 1.1.11: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
Error: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 1076:
Unknown section type (section changed in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf at
line 1038)
Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

Starting line 1076--->
  master {
      # Master socket provides access to userdb information. It's typically
      # used to give Dovecot's local delivery agent access to userdb so it
      # can find mailbox locations.
      path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode = 0660
      # Default user/group is the one who started dovecot-auth (root)
      user = vmail
      group = mail
    }

  # SQL database <doc/wiki/AuthDatabase.SQL.txt>
  userdb sql {
    # Path for SQL configuration file
    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
 Line 138 -->  }

I don't understand the issue with these lines.
They refer to dovecot.conf though.
The config file is clearly dovecot-postfix.conf so I am confused as to
why the other matters. I had noticed changes only when I changed
dovecot.conf though. (In dovecot -n output)