[Dovecot] Issue Authenticating to a new dovecot-postfix installation

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 30 23:16:02 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 15:09 -0600, Anthony Nedland wrote:
> When I telnet into 110 I can enter a username with user [username] then
> when I do pass [password] I get -ERR Authentication failed.
> I know the user info is correct.

Setting auth_debug_passwords=yes and looking at the logs would tell
exactly why it's failing. http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging

> root at mail:/etc/dovecot# dovecot -n
> # 1.1.11: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> Error: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 1076:
> Unknown section type (section changed in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf at
> line 1038)

In Ubuntu Dovecot is started with -c /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf,
so the dovecot.conf isn't used at all. In your dovecot -n output you'd
need to give the same -c parameter. Why they decided to do it like this,
I've no idea.

Anyway.. What this means is that:

> Starting line 1076--->
>   master {

Apparently master {} isn't inside socket listen {} block, as it should
be.