[Dovecot] Hostname setting defaults

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 30 23:35:45 EET 2009

Any thoughts about the following?

hostname setting currently defaults to system's host name, without the
domain part. It's used (in v2.0):

 - dovecot-lda (new deliver): If -a parameter isn't specified and
there's no Envelope-To: header, the destination address is generated as
<username>@<hostname setting>

 - lda/lmtp: In generated Message-Id: headers
("dovecot-stuff@<hostname>") for rejects, vacation, etc.

 - lda/lmtp: in reject messages as part of MIME boundary, and also in
"Reporting-UA: <hostname>; Dovecot mail delivery agent" header.

 - lmtp: In the protocol, e.g. "220 <hostname> Dovecot ready" or "421
4.4.2 <hostname> Disconnected for inactivity"

 - lmtp: In added Received: header

Seems pretty clear to me that it should be host.domain.org, not just
host. So I suppose I'll change that default.

The other thing is postmaster_address. That's accidentally been
postmaster at example.com in dovecot-example.conf and uncommented. So who
knows how many installations have their postmaster address set to that..
I'm thinking of just commenting it out in next v1.2 release so admins
needs to change that.

But for v2.0 maybe there could be a good default for postmaster_address?
"postmaster@<hostname setting>" I think? Because it's
postmaster at host.domain.org instead of postmaster at domain.org, it might
not be correct in most installations, but I'm thinking that maybe it's
safer. Someone trying out Dovecot on testbox.biguni.edu probably doesn't
want bounces going to postmaster at biguni.edu..