[Dovecot] Dovecot-antispam does not work

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 23:36:12 EET 2009

Hi Marcin and everyone,

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Marcin Rzepecki <m.rzepecki at iem.pw.edu.pl>wrote:

> Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 06:14:08PM +0100, Jehan Pag?s wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > first of all, thanks for the answer.
> > "(Un)fortunately", I don't have these error messages. For information, I
> am
> > using dovecot 1.1.7r1, compiled from the Gentoo package repository and
> the
> > only enabled debug I set was "mail_debug = yes".
> > The file where I see all debug messages is /var/log/messages, which is
> the
> > one where all messages from dovecot and postfix are stored under Gentoo
> > apparently.
> >
> > I am recompiling the package with "debug" to see if I see any more debug
> > messages. I will make more tests and try to understand this all better,
> > because currently it is pretty messy in my head as well about how all
> this
> > work together (postfix, dovecot, dspam, antispam plugin, etc.). I will
> keep
> > you up to date, but if ever you have any idea, don't hesitate...
>
> Hi,
>
> please, don't forget to CC: your replies to dovecot at dovecot.org, maybe
> solution would be helpfull for someone else :)

yes sorry for this. I though I was replying to the whole ml. Apparently the
ml is not very well configured because a reply does not reply to the whole
ml, but to the single sender. I will take care now.

> Errors which I wrote are sent to IMAP client, so are you getting
> getting eg. some pop-up window in your client with error message while
> trying to move message?

I was using the RoundCube web client on my server and had no such message.
It was just telling me that it could not move the message. I configured a
Thunderbird then and it displayed indeed this message 'Failed to call
dspam'. So I made your trick, I compiled myself the dovecot-antispam library
and now I can move messages... But are you sure that it is the right method
and that the dspam training is indeed called? Because if I read well this
piece of code, it looks like it was checking if the dspam training was
successful. We commented out this check, so now maybe it fails and we copy
the messages anyway to Junk/ even though no training really occurred.
And when I check the logs or the dspam_stats, I don't see any change, even
though I guess this retraining should be seen as a change in the stats, no?

> Antispam plugin is easy to understand: when you configure antispam_spam
> = SPAM it will set SPAM folder as his special folder to observe. When
> You get e-mail that was classified incorrect by DSPAM, you can move it
> to SPAM folder. Antispam plugin will trigger dspam command to mark this
> message as retrained-spam. You can do this of course in reverse order -
> moving message _from_ SPAM folder to another will run dspam and mark
> message as innocent. Message you are moving must have X-DSPAM-Signature
> header (you can check in msg source to see if dspam adds it correctly)

I have the header on every emails.
By the way, when one has the item "X-DSPAM-Result: Innocent" in the header,
it means the email is not a spam, does'nt it (right now I am focusing on
having this plugin working for training purpose, but currently not much is
working perfectly as expected in my email spam system)?

> You can provide some info from your log files, i'll try to help. Debug
> flag for plugin should effect with some info in debug-logs:
> Dec 15 23:54:18 freebsd imap: antispam: plugin initialising (1.1-notgit)
> Dec 15 23:54:18 freebsd imap: antispam: no trash folders
> Dec 15 23:54:18 freebsd imap: antispam: "SPAM" is spam folder
> Dec 15 23:54:18 freebsd imap: antispam: no unsure folders
> Dec 15 23:54:18 freebsd imap: antispam: dspam binary set to
> /usr/local/bin/dspam
> Dec 15 23:54:18 freebsd imap: antispam: dspam extra arg
> --user=dump-capability
> Dec 15 23:54:18 freebsd imap: antispam: signature header line is
> "X-DSPAM-Signature"
> Dec 15 23:54:18 freebsd imap: antispam: will silently move mails with
> missing signature
> [...]

Me I have:
Feb  3 22:10:39 ks34186 dovecot: IMAP(jehan at zemarmot.net): antispam: plugin