[Dovecot] Deferred emails on alias emails

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 14:46:17 EET 2009

Hi,

I am currently making a fresh install of email server. I am having some
issue with dovecot-antispam (cf. other emails), and noticed that I was
having issues on aliases, which apparently where not forwarded to the actual
SMTP server after passing through dspam. Still don't figure why but
temporarily disable the dspam filter, which anyway is not useful in the
current state of this installation.
Now the email to an alias are well forwarded to the real finale server. But
I still have many emails which were deferred in the last days and I cannot
have them decrease.

# ls -l /var/spool/postfix/defer/* | wc -l
297

If I run "postqueue -f" to flush this all, I can see the number down, but
fastly comes back to 297. Reading the logs, they are passed to dovecot,
which was probably the issue before I disabled dspam. It was trying to
deliver a message after filtering it, but in the case of aliases, of course,
it cannot because the account is not local (so it does not find the account
and defers the email forever)! So it should give it back to postfix so that
this one contacts the aliased server (gmail.com in the example below).

Feb  4 13:33:18 ks34186 postfix/lmtp[31100]: 82769869FA: to=<
someemail at gmail.com>, orig to=<someemail at mydomain.tld>,
relay=mail.mydomain.tld[/var/run/dspam/dspam.sock] conn use=28,
delay=142296, delays=142277/19/0/0.41, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (host
mail.mydomain.tld[/var/run/dspam/dspam.sock]
said: 421 4.3.0 <someemail at gmail.com> Auto-Whitelisted (in reply to end of
DATA command))
Feb  4 13:33:18 ks34186 dovecot: auth(default): master in: USER 1
someemail at gmail.com   service=deliver
Feb  4 13:33:18 ks34186 dovecot: auth(default): passwd(someemail at gmail.com):
lookup
Feb  4 13:33:18 ks34186 dovecot: auth(default): passwd(someemail at gmail.com):
unknown user
Feb  4 13:33:18 ks34186 dovecot: auth-worker(default): sql(
someemail at gmail.com): SELECT maildir as home, 1004 as uid, 1004 as gid FROM
mailbox WHERE username = 'someemail at gmail.com' AND active = '1'
Feb  4 13:33:18 ks34186 dovecot: auth-worker(default): sql(
someemail at gmail.com): Unknown user
Feb  4 13:33:18 ks34186 dovecot: auth(default): master out: NOTFOUND    1

So is there a way please to flush this whole spool so that it now uses the
new method (which is stop using dspam until I figure how to use it) and so
that I can forward these emails to their recipient?
Thanks.

Jehan

P.S.: this is maybe more a postfix issue than a dovecot issue though... but
you probably all know well postfix as well.