[Dovecot] pop3_lock_session question

Mark Costlow cheeks at swcp.com
Wed Feb 4 21:07:16 EET 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:25:21PM -0500, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 11:17 -0700, Mark Costlow wrote:
> > Hello, I'm preparing to convert from qpopper + UW-IMAP to dovecot.
> > So far testing has gone very well.  One problem we haven't figured
> > out is that long-running POP sessions keep the mailbox locked, so that
> > the MDA times out while trying to deliver.  We're using "maildrop" as
> > our MDA if that matters.
> ..
> > We though this setting would address the issue:
> >
> >   # Keep the mailbox locked for the entire POP3 session.
> >   pop3_lock_session = no
> >
> > But it doesn't seem to.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Switch to Maildir and the problem goes away. The issue is that the mbox
> file is read-locked when the first message is read. And since the POP3
> client most likely just keeps reading messages for the entire session,
> the mbox file kept read-locked all the time. Can't really be fixed
> without some larger redesign (which is really not worth it).

Point taken.

Does this mean that pop3_lock_session is a NO-OP?  Or does it have
other implications?

Thanks,

Mark
--
Mark Costlow    | Southwest Cyberport | Fax:   +1-505-232-7975
cheeks at swcp.com | Web:   www.swcp.com | Voice: +1-505-232-7992

abq-strange.com -- Interesting photos taken in Albuquerque, NM
                   Last post: Cruising San Mateo I - 2009-01-04 15:20:30