[Dovecot] 1.1.6: PAM passdb/userdb (mis)configuration

Oved Ben-Aroya oved+dovecot at xor.technion.ac.il
Thu Feb 5 09:50:06 EET 2009

I was not able to reproduce the Outlook/OL Express users complaints (in
a test system).  As it turned out, a DB problem in one of our ldap servers
led to dovecot authentication failures - showing in the logs that "shadow"
authentication failed.  Deleting the "passdb shadow" (plus clean up of
tens of dovecot-auth processes) fixed it.  A couple of days later, a user
complained that he can't login with Outlook (OL asking for his password
again and again), and a check revealed that his password exired :-)

Still not using authentication cache...
Just FYI.

--
\Oved
Dr. Oved Ben-Aroya, Head Unix group, Taub Computer Center, Technion