[Dovecot] Maildir structure question

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Feb 6 12:32:41 EET 2009

Nicolas KOWALSKI schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> About the INBOX location when using maildir, in the wiki,
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir, I can read:
>
> "
> Directory Structure
>
> ~/Maildir/new, ~/Maildir/cur and ~/Maildir/tmp directories contain
> the messages for INBOX. The tmp directory is used during delivery, new
> messages arrive in new and read shall be moved to cur by the clients.
> "
>

> But in my Maildir, I see this:
>
> niko at petole:~$ ls -la Maildir/
> total 144
> drwxr-xr-x 35 niko niko 4096 2009-02-06 08:37 .
> drwxr-xr-x 25 niko niko 4096 2009-02-06 10:26 ..
> drwxr-xr-x  5 niko niko 4096 2009-02-06 09:16 .INBOX
>

> There are no 'cur', 'new' and 'tmp' directories in ~/Maildir, as written
> in the wiki, but instead this .INBOX directory which contains these
> 'cur', 'new' and 'tmp'.
>
> Is this expected ? Thanks.

The namespace and folder structure needs to be reflected in Maildir - I
presume that namespace configuration also has a say in the layout. For me,
who runs Dovecot without namespace configuration, Dovecot has the layout
you expect. So I'd say it's the namespace configuration that causes INBOX
to appear as a subdirectory of Maildir/.

http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/README.maildirquota.html - see under
"Definitions, and goals".