[Dovecot] Shared subscription, acl-list and uidvalidity(s)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 6 21:48:25 EET 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 15:20 +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> I first connect (in Thunderbird) to dovecot with user 'hummel', then with user
> 'doveimap'. The following files are created in /path/to/public/ :
>
> -rw-------  1 doveimap  doveshared    40 Jan 30 14:03 dovecot-acl-list
> -rw-------  1 hummel    doveshared     8 Jan 30 14:03 dovecot-uidvalidity
> -rw-------  1 hummel    doveshared     0 Jan 30 14:02 dovecot-uidvalidity.4982fa7a
>
> I've got my own idea about what they're used for, but can you explain what they
> are supposed to be ?

dovecot-acl-list caches information about listable mailboxes.
dovecot-uidvalidity* files are used to assign a unique UIDVALIDITY value
when a new mailbox is being created (or actually opened for the first
time).

If you want the files to be group-readable, make the /path/to/public
directory also group-readable. At least I think that should do it.

> I guess the uidvalidity files are UIDVALIDITY, not for the mailboxes the
> namespace holds (since my understanding is that the uidvalidities of mailboxes
> are stored in the first line of dovecot-uidlist files), but for the namespace
> itself (in case it is destroyed and then recreated for instance). Am I right ?

They're used for all the mailboxes that are created under that
namespace.

> Why 2 files ?

Implementation optimization issue. It helps to avoid locking.