[Dovecot] Rebuild folder listing?

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Sat Feb 7 05:58:08 EET 2009

I don't know what to call what I'm trying to do so I'll explain the
situation.

I had a total complete crash of the Linux-Vserver system that was
hosting a Postfix+Dovecot guest with a three domains and 1-5 accounts
per domain.  Lots of mail though.

Before it completely melted down I as able to get to the data (messages)
and save them and the configuration files for both Dovecot and Postfix.

I now have a replacement system up and running and have copied the
directories onto it.  I can log in to the accounts but I don't see the
folders (I use Thunderbird as a MUA).  Attempts to "subscribe" and
"refresh" the list give me no results.  No list of folders.

What should I do?

I'm thinking I could delete the dovecot files:

    dovecot.index,
    dovecot.index.cache,
    dovecot.index.log,
    dovecot-uidlist,
    subscriptions,
    and while I'm at it possibly dovecot-keywords.

Then access the account(s) and Dovecot will rebuild them with the
true/correct information.

Am I heading anywhere near the right direction?

TIA,
Rod