[Dovecot] Smooth mailbox to maildir migration

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Feb 10 19:58:49 EET 2009

on 2-10-2009 7:49 AM Luciano Mannucci spake the following:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a postfix+procmail+dovecot installation, now running basicaly
> on pop3 hence mailbox format, with few thousand users and less than
> twenty gigabytes mail.
> I need to move all of them to maildir, to take advantage of IMAP
> subfolders that do not work with mbox format (so I'm told :).
> Of course I cannot safely stop the service for more than a bunch of
> seconds...

You can have subfolders with mbox, but you can not have folders that contain
both messages and sub-folders. They either have messages or sub-folders.

> What I'm about to do:
>
> create a second dovecot instance to cope with imap client configured
> for maildir (and possibly pop3 on another port for those using both),
> which means a dovecot launched with -c /path/to/alternate.conf and a
> new /etc/init.d/dovecot2-theRevenge having the proper -i option given
> to startproc in order to make it ignore the other instance.

I think you can do this with namespaces, without running two dovecot daemons.

> for each user:
>
> convert the mailbox with some sort of mb2mb (which is the better one?)
I am also working on this, but I don't have as many users.

> create a .procmailrc with a proper DEFAULT= bearing the magic trailing
> slash indicating maildir to procmail for each converted user.
You will have to do this unless you can convert all users at once.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and