[Dovecot] great disappearing email mystery

dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us
Thu Feb 12 01:46:41 EET 2009

Quoting Jack Stewart <jstewart at caltech.edu>:

> dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:

> Is it missing in the mail server or just on the client? What does your
> server layout look like?
>
> We had a similar issue with Outlook and AppleMail where the uidlist
> would change just enough to wipe out their local index. People would
> tell us that they could see the E-mail in webmail but not in their
> client.
>
> We haven't had the issue in a long while, but it was painful while it
> lasted. The key to resolving the issue had to do with upgrades to the
> dovecot version - we currently just made the jump to 1.1.11 and it
> seems to be working well.  Shes been up almost a year now without a
> reboot, with close to 750 accounts.
>
> ---Jack

Jack,
My server is a linux box running sendmail, procmail, and dovecot, I
use ldap on the backend.  Most of my clients use Horde for webmail,
but I have some that use outlook.  The emails are missing, missing.
Neither on client or server.  Thing is I looked on my backups (7 days
worth) and supposedly missing emails werent there either.  So its hard
to tell how long they have been missing.  Also, this server was put
online 2 years ago, so all mailboxes were migrated from the oldserver
to the new one and renamed oldmail.  Nothing in their either.  Were
there any gotcha's on the upgrade?  Im not one to upgrade unless there
are security issues or problems and my mailserver has been extremely
stable

--
Dwayne Hottinger
Network Administrator

-- Albert Einstein

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in times of moral
crisis, preserved their neutrality."
-- Dante