[Dovecot] IMAP ACLs and global ACLs in v1.2

Sascha Wilde wilde at intevation.de
Thu Feb 12 14:35:18 EET 2009

Robert Schetterer <robert at schetterer.org> writes:
> Sascha Wilde schrieb:
>> Robert Schetterer <robert at schetterer.org> writes:
>> [...]
>>> i dont think you should mess around what clients think
>>> where should this end , the technical right and most clear description
>>> is owner, username can be very wide interpreted and may lead
>>> to technical problems in reading imap-acl i.e from horde imp or other
>>> mail clients later, as far i remember owner is use i.e in exchange too

>> I'm not quite sure if we are talking about the same thing.  This is
>> about the reply to the getacl command in the imap protocol (in opposite
>> to the output in the clients UI).
>
> i was talking about imap getacl, which answers owner

Me too.

[...]
>> I don't know about exchange, but most clients don't know about dovecots
>> special meaning of "owner" but simply consider it an ordinary user name.
>
> do you mean clients as humans or mail clients?

Mail clients == software speaking IMAP aware of the IMAP ACL extension.

[...]
> whatever what i mean was leave the code to standarts

I agree, and we do.  Problem is, while not prohibited by the standard
keywords like "owner" are not defined by the standard.  Even worse: there
is no way in IMAP ACL to distinct such special keywords from actual user
names.

Please see the first footnote in my latest mail in the thread
"v1.2.beta1 released" Message-ID: <s7wskmj26vr.fsf at intevation.de> for
more details.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde                                          OpenPGP key: 4BB86568
http://www.intevation.de/~wilde/                  http://www.intevation.de/