[Dovecot] Bynari Insight connector

Maarten Bezemer mcbdovecot at robuust.nl
Fri Feb 13 10:30:28 EET 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> I don't seem to understand what you imply at all. Are you trying to address
> Timo, Dovecot Admins like us, or Microsoft?
>
> AFAIK, Outlook works. At least 2003SP3 and 2007SP1 works here. Not sure what
> is so broken about it, but you can ask M$ why.

Outlook works, but its imap support is 'somewhat broken'. The Bynari
insight connector acts as a MAPI-to-IMAP plugin, so that Outlook can use
its MAPI implementation and have the connector take care of the imap
back-end.
That should also remove the need for both a Personal Folders and an imap
top-level mailbox in Outlook. Reducing the risk of people storing messages
in Personal Folders, making them inaccessible from the webmail.

My question is towards anyone here who might have any experience with
using the combination dovecot+bynari insight connector. Why? Because
dovecot is not explicitly supported, but may work very well regardless.
Any tweaks (there is one about shared calendars, for example) you could
apply for better performance, ... that kind of things.

Or, maybe someone has experience with another plugin/connector between
dovecot and outlook.

Hope it's a bit clearer now.

Regards,
Maarten