[Dovecot] pop3_lock_session question

Alan Ferrency alan at pair.com
Fri Feb 13 21:59:43 EET 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 14:49 -0500, Alan Ferrency wrote:
>
> > Do you think the "idle process holds a lock open forever" problem that
> > you recently patched for pop3 could also affect imap?
>
> It shouldn't. The mailbox is unlocked after each command is finished.
> But of course if the client sends a command that takes a really long
> time that could be a problem. I don't think clients usually do that
> though.

In the only case I've looked into deeply, the imap processes all seem
to be sitting in this state, idle:

#0  0x18290f0b in kevent () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x080c97fc in io_loop_handler_run (ioloop=0x80f0160) at ioloop-kqueue.c:128
#2  0x080c8e59 in io_loop_run (ioloop=0x80f0160) at ioloop.c:326
#3  0x08065ed0 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfbfea1c, envp=0xbfbfea24) at main.c:293

I don't see how that could be holding anything up.  It feels a bit odd
that clients have 30+ separate imap processes open, all sitting in the
io loop.

I'll get back to you if I find any more useful information.

Thanks!

Alan Ferrency
pair Networks, Inc.