[Dovecot] great disappearing email mystery

Maarten Bezemer mcbdovecot at robuust.nl
Sat Feb 14 17:05:02 EET 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 2/12/2009, Maarten Bezemer (mcbdovecot at robuust.nl) wrote:
>> Strangest thing about this is that it only seems to happen when an
>> email is read first through webmail.
>
> What were you using for webmail again?

Squirrelmail, using the same imap server as a back-end.
Nothing special happens to the emails in question. The mail store is
Maildir++, and the message files don't change. They are moved from new/ to
cur/, and the Seen flag is added, but that's something that happens all
the time and works fine. Except for some strange cases, but I doubt that
has anything to do with the Seen flag. Outlook seems to be seeing a
Deleted flag which obviously isn't there.

Maarten