[Dovecot] great disappearing email mystery

Sat Feb 14 21:37:20 EET 2009

On 2/14/2009 9:59 AM, Maarten Bezemer wrote:
>>> I can see 1.1.9-1 in Experimental, but not even in Unstable yet.
>>> So I'm not ready to try it on production machines.

>> I could never use a distro that required me to use outdated/buggy
>> software...

> So you prefer to use the new&shiny versions of the software that
> include all new&shiny bugs?

Please don't put words in my mouth. I said what I said, and meant it.

> Given my experience with a lot of software, that's just not an
> acceptable policy.

With software that is a fast moving target and bugs get squashed
quickly, it is the only sensible policy, imnsho.

Of course, as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - and
this is NOT in contradiction to what I said earlier... I said I wouldn't
use a distro that REQUIRED me to use outdated/buggy s/w...

> in general, bleeding edge isn't the way to go.

For SYSTEM packages, I totally agree. But again, for software that is a
fast moving target, quick upgrades to latest versions THAT FIX BUGS
BEING ENCOUNTERED BY THE CURRENT VERSION is the only sensible thing to do.

> For production environments, I'm more than happy with Debian Stable plus
> backports versions of things like dovecot.

I prefer Gentoo due to its 'rolling release' nature (mine has been kept
up to date from day one for the last 5 years, with not one major glitch
- knock on wood). I keep the 'system' pinned at stable, and keyword the
fast moving packages to unstable... accomplishes the same thing, except
that most of the critical packages I use are updated to latest versions
within hours or days (with some irritating exceptions, like Samba), as
opposed to weeks or months like most other distros.

But to each his/her own...

--

Best regards,

Charles