[Dovecot] Time moved backwards ....

Harry Lachanas grharry at freemail.gr
Wed Feb 18 18:08:04 EET 2009

tomas at tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 05:17:18PM +0200, Harry Lachanas wrote:
>
>> OK..
>> So I synced  the clock....
>> and got ....
>>
>> dovecot: Time just moved backwards by 1 seconds. I'll sleep now until we're
>> back in present. http://wiki.dovecot.org/TimeMovedBackwards
>>
>> ( The first time I did this the clock moved backwards 2 hours after a
>> timezone change and dovecot suicided )
>> I think I understand the concept ...
>> However a mail server should probably be synchronized to the local time
>>

> You don't really mean what you are saying, I think. Anyway: what do you

of course I do .....
The server I was talking about was a test server, fresh install, and I
corrected the time zone ....
So If U are offended, I am sorry ....
On the other hand if U have NOT something real to share .... please do
not answer .... at least with an empty answer ....
You will probably  make  other  people  tired + disappointed  too,
searching  the list  trying to locate the answer to this question ....

> do with all those little file timestamps coming from the future?

I haven't reached the point where a summer or winter time change
happened ... :-) , yet .........
I would hate the moment that I would have to explain to my users that
they have to wait  for a couple of hours ....
until the server wakes up again ...!!!!
Also add that I tend not to explain in techno-mambo-jumbo-geek (
metaphorically  ;-) )  terminology what is going on ....

Having said all of the above ...

My apologies to the list for the extra paragraphs and being of-topic ...

Cheers,
Harry.