[Dovecot] limiting authentication failures

Eric B. Schorvitz, Ph.D. eric at pmtechllc.com
Thu Feb 19 13:57:29 EET 2009

In my log files I occasionally get a huge number of Dovecot authentication
failures (see clip below).

I wanted to know if there's a way to limit the number of times an IP address
can attempt to authenticate, if there's a way to have a timeout between
attempted authentications, or if there is a way to limit authentication
attempts by a specific username within a certain period of time.

My current solution is to permanently block the specific IP, an IP range, or
an entire country from accessing my server AFTER I notice the huge number of
authentication failures. This is too ad-hoc a process and was hoping dovecot
has something more proactive built in.

Thank you in advance for spending time considering this inquiry,

Eric

--------------------- pam_unix Begin ------------------------

 dovecot:

    Authentication Failures:

        rhost=::ffff:200.111.39.219 : 764 Time(s)

       root: 25 Time(s)

       mysql: 6 Time(s)

       smmsp: 6 Time(s)

--SNIP--

    Unknown Entries:

       check pass; user unknown: 764 Time(s)

 --------------------- Connections (secure-log) Begin

  **Unmatched Entries**

 dovecot-auth: pam_succeed_if(dovecot:auth): error retrieving information
about user info