[Dovecot] Broken dovecot-uidlist files

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Feb 21 00:50:28 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 08:30 +0100, Ulrich Zehl wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:02:19AM -0500, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > Perhaps the NFS cache flushing doesn't work then for some reason. What
> > OS (kernel) are you using on the Dovecot servers? How big values have
> > you set to attribute cache?
>
> On the client side, it's Linux 2.6.23.16. All attribute cache related
> values are at their default, as far as I can tell. The entry in fstab
> reads:
>
> nfs-server:/srv/storage /srv/storage nfs rw,nfsvers=3,hard,intr,nosuid,noexec,nodev,noatime 0 0

Setting actimeo=0 probably fixes this, but also probably increases the
load a lot. actimeo=1 might work ok and reduce how often these problems
happen, but not eliminate them completely.

Dovecot's nfs settings should avoid this problem though. You could see
if upgrading your kernel helps. Some kernels have somewhat broken NFS
code.

> > I was just thinking that when you said there was no concurrent access
> > did you also consider deliver processes and not just imap/pop3?
>
> I just checked again. See below for an example of the logs for one mailbox.
>
> $ grep 123456 at example.net mail.log
> Jan 27 08:00:17 allina dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<123456 at example.net>, method=PLAIN, rip=80.x.x.x, lip=10.x.x.x
> Jan 27 08:00:19 allina dovecot: POP3(123456 at example.net): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=1/1283428, del=0/1, size=1283408
> Jan 27 08:00:57 laura deliver(123456 at example.net): msgid=<497EB077.000009.01164 at ERNESTO>: saved mail to INBOX

So allina modified dovecot-uidlist and soon afterwards laura probably
was using a cached dovecot-uidlist and corrupted it.