[Dovecot] dovecot auth

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at onet.eu
Sun Feb 22 14:42:31 EET 2009

ben <mailing at gigaspeeds.be> wrote:

> tried %Lu, dovecot seems to still strip of the domain part before
> looking it up in dovecot.passwd... :
>

> dovecot.passwd :
> ---------------
> test at testdomain.com:{plain}test123.:8:12::/opt/storage/mbox/bb107608::
>
> -----
> dovecot -n
>
> # OS: Linux 2.6.24.5-smp i686 Slackware 12.1.0
> [...]
> auth default:
>   mechanisms: plain login apop
>   executable: /opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth
>   user: mail
>   username_format: %Lu
>   verbose: yes
>   debug: yes
>   debug_passwords: yes
>   passdb:
>     driver: passwd-file
>     args: scheme=plain username_format=%n /opt/dovecot/etc/dovecot.passwd
>   userdb:
>     driver: passwd-file
>     args: username_format=%n /opt/dovecot/etc/dovecot.passwd
>   socket:
>     type: listen
>     master:
>       path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
>       mode: 384
>       user: mail
>       group: mail
>[...]

Have you tried to change username_format for passdb and userdb *TOO*?
You seem to overwrite "global default" in "sub sections".
They both are set to %n - username with stripped domain.

URL(s):
http://wiki.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/PasswdFile

P.S.
My experience with dovecot is limited so treat my replies as guesses
based of "general email experience".

[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at onet.eu
Never have children, only grandchildren.
  -- Gore Vidal