[Dovecot] Postfix LDA vs the Dovecot LDA + other quetions

Linux Advocate linuxhousedn at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 03:49:02 EET 2009

> On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 23:58 -0800, Linux Advocate wrote:
> > 2. What is the benefit of using  Dovecot's SASL as compared to Cyrus SASL? Is
> there better performance?
>
> Probably not, but I've always hated configuring Cyrus SASL. It's not as
> flexible and the error and debug messages are worse.
>
> > 3. Quota Management ( Creating, enforcing, notifying ) - is it done thru
> dovecot or postfix or are both needed?
>
> Depends on if you use Dovecot LDA. If not, then both.

Timo, if we use the dovecot LDA, we do need to create a user "vmail" , with no login priveleges etc?
my  /home/vmail/ directories are owned by postfix. do i then need to make vmail a member of the group?

Or will it be easier to make /home/vmail to be owned by user vmail? in this scenario, we need not worry about postfix access bcos its dovecot's LDA that is writing and reading from /home/vmail?

regards,
mgomez