[Dovecot] Securing mailboxes and passwords

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Wed Feb 25 01:09:10 EET 2009

On 24.02.2009 23:54 Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
> I have tried different options on my maildirs. Dovecot gives me permission errors
> unless I set it to 775. I have seen that many mention 660 as the best permission
> setting for maildirs when used in setups similar to my own. Can anyone explain
> why my maildir must be executable and accessible to everyone?

No, they must not be accessible for everyone, only for the user, that
owns the maildir. For example:

el-negro 70014 # ll -d Maildir
drwx------ 21 70014 70002 4096 2009-02-24 19:36 Maildir
el-negro 70014 # ll -d Maildir/.INBOX.Lists.Dovecot
drwx------ 5 70014 70002 4096 2009-02-24 23:56 Maildir/.INBOX.Lists.Dovecot
el-negro 70014 # ll Maildir/.INBOX.Lists.Dovecot/cur/1235516104.M562448P18642.el-negro\,W\=3966\:2\,Sa
-rw------- 1 70014 70002 3886 2009-02-24 23:55 Maildir/.INBOX.Lists.Dovecot/cur/1235516104.M562448P18642.el-negro,W=3966:2,Sa

But this may require a root-setuid deliver binary, when using
multiple virtual UIDs. See http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA#multipleuids

Regards,
Pascal
--
Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning “I can’t install Debian.”
                                                         -- unknown