[Dovecot] OT: Fixing Messages To Be RFC 2822 Compliant

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Feb 25 05:36:59 EET 2009

Neil wrote, On 2/23/09 4:16 AM:
> So....apparently I have some messages which are not RFC compliant sitting in
> my mailboxes (mostly older ones), and I have some software which is refusing
> to handle such messages.
>
> 1. Does anyone know of a nice way to verify that all my messages are
> compliant/find those that aren't? (I suppose I could use the existing
> failing software, but I was hoping for something a little more robust...)

I'm not aware of any such software. Some of the ambiguities of RFC822 were
clarified in RFC2822, but there still isn't perfect consensus on how
strongly any software should demand compliance. That argues for using the
failing software to identify what it deems inadequately compliant.

> 2. Does anyone know of any tools that will do The Right Thing as far as
> fixing these messages are concerned?

That's a bit of a logical problem, as many things that could be wrong are
the absence of information, such as missing headers. If you don't know
what's wrong with a message then obviously there's no way to fix it, but in
some cases even knowing what is wrong does not help.

> Googling didn't turn up much for me, but maybe I wasn't hitting the right
> terms ("RFC message repair", "fix email message", etc.).

You might have similar results for "pi equals 4" and for the same reasons...