[Dovecot] exim4 + dovecot + SquirrelMail virtualhosted on Debian

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Feb 25 23:53:43 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 07:34, Tim Legg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Debian machine that is virtual-hosting 6 domains with exim4.  I finally got exim4 working well enough where I can send and receive mail using the mail command on my machine.  I would eventually like to have SquirrelMail (which requires IMAP) working on my website.  For whatever reason, exim4 doesn't seem to support IMAP.  I found out that Dovecot is a prominent IMAP server.

Exim is an MTA,  nothing more

> So I installed the most current Dovecot package (1.0.rc15) in Debian.  Something is broken though...

UHG!, well if you insist on using a distribution that is always so
outdated, you might be better off asking on their lists for help.

If you look on dovecots website you'll see there the current stable
release is at 1.1.11 (unless I've missed the official release notice of
1.2), I also guess squirrelmail is outdated by years as well, and if you
run into problems there, Paul will also likely respond in similar
fashion as to what I have here...

There is nothing wrong with using the source, as you dont know what
tinkering the likes of debian and redhat do to distro-ise them