[Dovecot] problems with dotlock

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 26 07:01:21 EET 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 8:55 PM, Mark Hedges wrote:

> I tried making all of the binaries root:mail with g+s, same
> as /usr/bin/lockfile, but this was no help.

It doesn't, because Dovecot starts them as root and then changes the
privileges.

> It also does not help to chmod +t /var/spool/mail.

Maybe not alone, but this should work:

chmod 0777 /var/spool/mail
chmod +t /var/spool/mail

Or you could set mail_access_groups (or perhaps it's still called
mail_extra_groups in your version) to "mail", assuming /var/spool/mail
was owned by group mail and was group-writable.