[Dovecot] Dovecot problem after last Debian sid update (solved)

Paul Scott waterhorse at ultrasw.com
Thu Feb 26 11:04:56 EET 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 10:44 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
>
>> Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> What exactly does that mean? Does it list mailboxes? Does it list
>>> mailbox contents, but just not open the mail?
>>>

>> I believe so.  I can see the headers but not the contents.
>>

> Also for newly arrived mails? Sounds like it either couldn't connect and
> is in offline mode, or it crashes when trying to open the mail.

In another email I can't find at the moment you suggested that I look at
the logs.  From there it didn't take long to figure out that something
had changed with update of Dovecot that no longer allowed this
configuration line to work:

mail_location: ~/Maildir

and both in dovecot.conf and log I was warned to add the prefix "maildir""

With this everything seems to be fixed.

I don't know whether this would be considered any kind of bug.  The
Debian package allowed me to upgrade Dovecot without warning me that the
rules for mail_location had changed.

Thanks for your help and hints,

Paul