[Dovecot] One Dovecot serving 2 domains - possible?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 26 22:14:32 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 13:54 -0300, k bah wrote:
> > > I'm talking about Dovecot 1.0.x, since 1.1.x showed some problems
> > > on some of my servers.
> >
> > What problems?
>
>  This:
>
>  Feb 16 10:05:56 server dovecot: Panic: IMAP(user): file istream-tee.c: line 144 (i_stream_tee_read): assertion failed: (ret > 0)
>
>  auth-worker died.
>  That happened with Dovecot 1.1.4, 1.1.7 and 1.1.11, 1.1.7 was not with me, was with another user I found, on some mailing list. The problem occurred when copying or deleting messages, sometimes even viewing (Webmail). Since it's a production server, I compiled the latest 1.0.x and I'm using it. This particular server was running Ubuntu 8.04 (the default package is 1.0.x) and I upgraded to 8.10 (the default package is 1.1.x).

The above assert isn't from v1.1.11 and I had added some extra checks
there since 1.1.7. Do you have the exact assert message from v1.1.11?

Why do you use ~ instead of @? Dovecot makes things easier if you use @.
But you can convert ~ to @ automatically:

auth_username_translation = ~@

>  c) Ok, the two above give me the possibility to have all mailboxes,
> from the two domains, under the same mailbox root, users will be
> unique no matter the scenario (mail arriving, user checking mail),
> BUT, I would like to keep them separated anyways, is that possible to
> force that?

Where in filesystem do you want them? For example you could do:

mail_location = /var/mail/%d/%n

to have two domain directories and the username under them.