[Dovecot] Custom flags in v1.0.15

Pascal Mouret pascal.mouret at polytech.univ-mrs.fr
Thu Feb 26 22:56:56 EET 2009

Hi Timo,

Thank you very much for the reply.

Timo Sirainen a écrit :
> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 13:03 +0100, Pascal Mouret wrote:
>
>> Thunderbird > 621 uid store 35150 +FLAGS ($label4)
>> Dovecot > * 6716 FETCH (UID 35150 FLAGS (\Seen \Recent $Label4))
>>
>> Now, if I close TB, so that changes are written to the mbox file, and if
>> I open that file on a the server with any text editor, the 'X-Keywords'
>> line doesn't appear !? And as a matter of a fact, if I read my mail from
>> any other machine, the flag isn't set !
>>

> That's a bit weird, but looks like I can reproduce it. Actually it
> doesn't look like any flags get written to the mbox file..
>

>> Anyone knows where the problem can be ? Do I need to upgrade to v1.1 ?
>> Or are custom flags actually supported in v1.0 (which I believe is the
>> case) ?
>>

> See if setting mbox_lazy_writes=no helps.

That's it !!! I changed the line and it did the trick !! (To be more
accurate, on my debian box, I had then to issue a /etc/init.d/dovecot
restart. A simple /etc/init.d/dovecot force-reload was not enough)
Thank you very much
So it may be a problem when the flags are copied from the index file
onto the main mbox file, right ?
Is there a performance penalty of setting mbox_lazy_writes to no by the
way ?
I did a very basic test on a 500MB mbox (setting and unsetting flags on
the second message of the mailbox, and grep'ing at the same time the
file to see the changes : no noticeable delay. A ls -l even showed the
file remained the same size, which explains it all !)
Now, on a busy server, with a lot of flag changes (or rather a lot of
flag additions), would that make a noticeable difference ?
Anyway, thank you very much for your help, and thank you very much for
the great job !

--
Pascal Mouret
Responsable du Service Informatique
Mel : pascal.mouret at polytech.univ-mrs.fr
Tel : 04 91 11 38 04 / Fax : 04 91 11 38 54