[Dovecot] problems with dotlock

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 27 00:47:27 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 14:23 -0800, Mark Hedges wrote:
> Feb 26 14:14:06 anubis dovecot: child 25810 (pop3) killed with signal 11

It shouldn't be crashing. Could you get a gdb backtrace from this?
http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html

> Feb 26 14:14:06 anubis dovecot: POP3(despam_test_anubis): file_dotlock_create(/var/spool/mail/despam_test_anubis) failed: Permission denied (euid=511(despam_test_anubis) egid=100(users) missing +w perm: /var/spool/mail) (set mail_privileged_group=mail)
..
> It isn't setting egid to 12(mail) like it should.

One more try, what does it log after applying also this patch:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/raw-rev/8c99c4d2eaad

> What about IMAP and dotlock files?  I need dotlock files for
> inbox and all the folders to keep openwebmail from trying to
> change the folders while an IMAP connection is open.  It's
> probably not too likely in our scenario anyway so it won't
> be a showstopper, but is that possible?

No. That would break multiple IMAP connections and it would also prevent
new mail from being delivered to the mailboxes.