[Dovecot] Default dirs in ./configure?

Heiko Schlichting dovecot-l at fu-berlin.de
Sun Jan 4 16:21:55 EET 2009

Timo wrote:
> I think it's pretty much a standard to place all the files under $prefix by
> default. It's also useful in some cases. For example I don't have root
> access to the server where my mails are located, so I just build Dovecot
> (and many other software) with --prefix=$HOME and everything works nicely.

Yes, my production servers are configured like this.

Not a big issue, but I always dislikes the additional "dovecot" subdirs if
dovecot is configured that way. Although the additional subdirs are unusual
(compared with most other software products), I can see that these subdirs
are useful for configurations like --prefix=/usr/local or --prefix=/usr.

But within a special account and using --prefix=$HOME these are
superfluous:

    $ find -name dovecot
    ./include/dovecot
    ./libexec/dovecot
    ./lib/dovecot
    ./share/doc/dovecot
    ./bin/dovecot

I prefer (in this case!):
    ./include
    ./libexec
    ./lib
    ./share/doc
    ./bin

It would be great if I could suppress these additional "dovecot" subdirs
during configure with something like --without-dovecot-subdirs.

Ok, minor issue but as the subject came up...

Regards, Heiko.

Heiko Schlichting          Freie Universität Berlin
heiko at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE     Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung (ZEDAT)
Telefon +49 30 838-54327   Fabeckstraße 32
Telefax +49 30 838454327   14195 Berlin