[Dovecot] PDF corruption issue

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Tue Jan 6 10:35:59 EET 2009

Michael Dunne schrieb:
> Greetings,
>
> I have several users reporting that PDF attachments are coming in
> corrupted. They are using either thunderbird or outlook on windows xp. I
> have flushed the cache files for the users, but the problem still
> persists. Could anyone offer some troubleshooting tips?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Below is my version and config.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
>
> dovecot --version
> 1.1.7
>
> dovecot -n
> # 1.1.7: /etc/dovecot.conf
> Warning: fd limit 1024 is lower than what Dovecot can use under full
> load (more than 1792). Either grow the limit or change
> login_max_processes_count and max_mail_processes settings
> # OS: Linux 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5 x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
> release 5.2 (Tikanga)
> base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
> log_path: /var/log/dovecot
> listen: [*]
> ssl_key_file: /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
> login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
> login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
> login_max_processes_count: 384
> login_max_connections: 384
> max_mail_processes: 1024
> verbose_proctitle: yes
> first_valid_uid: 10
> mail_privileged_group: mail
> mail_location: mbox:%h/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
> mail_debug: yes
> mail_full_filesystem_access: yes
> mmap_disable: yes
> mail_nfs_index: yes
> lock_method: dotlock
> mbox_read_locks: dotlock
> mbox_write_locks: dotlock
> mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
> mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
> mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
> mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
> mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
> mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib64/dovecot/pop3
> mail_log_max_lines_per_sec: 25
> imap_client_workarounds(default): outlook-idle tb-extra-mailbox-sep
> imap_client_workarounds(imap): outlook-idle tb-extra-mailbox-sep
> imap_client_workarounds(pop3):
> namespace:
>   type: private
>   separator: /
>   inbox: yes
>   list: yes
>   subscriptions: yes
> namespace:
>   type: private
>   separator: /
>   prefix: mail/
>   hidden: yes
>   subscriptions: yes
> namespace:
>   type: private
>   separator: /
>   prefix: ~/mail/
>   hidden: yes
> [...]
Hi Michael, the chances that dovecot or postfix has something to do with
this are nearly null, corruption of spez. file types may result
by broken virus scanners , or what i never had expected i had this issue
one time on a windows exchange machine with pop3 downloader
which had a broken interface bonding, so it was the nic drivers fault,
so there may be some equal nic or network problem on the clients side
and or virus scanners , proxies etc on their side,
a good test is to use some webmail ( i.e squirrelmail ) on the dovecot
server itself
open some example mails ( which are reported to be broken ) with it and
look if they currupted or not, if they arent the problem is on the
client side and you dont have to care, if they are allready corrupted on
your mailserver check antivirus solution you have installted in the
server, disable it for further tests.

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer