[Dovecot] PDF corruption issue

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Jan 8 10:56:05 EET 2009

Michael Dunne wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Thanks to everyone that replied. I have not been able to isolate the
> cause, has this happened to anyone else?

Just a few days ago I sent a file to someone on my same mailserver who
then reported the file corrupt and sent it back to me (where I also
verified it corrupt).  I use Thunderbird to send and they use OE to
receive.  Postfix + Dovecot 1.1.3

I personally suspect Thunderbird, but it's possible that it is related
to Dovecot

Certainly I occasionally receive emails from external people which also
appear to have corrupt attachments until resent (usually PDF, but that's
also mainly what I receive).  These would be sent from probably a MS
Exchange using Outlook, and received here by Postfix+Dovecot+Thunderbird

I can basically confirm the same intermittent issue, but not where it's
coming from

Oh, some wild thought occurred to me - check the actual files on disk.
ie go into the server and grab the actual "corrupt" message from disk
and call it something.eml - then you can double click it on a client
machine and it should open in the default email program and you can then
prove that it wasn't the imap/pop delivery which was corrupting the
message.  This still means it could be either the MTA or the delivery
agent, but I think it will vindicate Dovecot?

Regards

Ed W