[Dovecot] deliver: command died with signal 6

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Tue Jan 13 17:22:30 EET 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:46:35AM -0500, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Before this raw backtrace there should have been a "Panic: Something"
> logged also. That's more important than the raw backtrace.

I can't find that in the syslog. But I found this just before the
backtrace:

    deliver(someuser at mydomain.no):  file mail-index-sync-update.c: line 854 (mail_index_sync_update_index): assertion failed: (view->hdr.messages_count == map->hdr.messages_count)

>> And, is there anything we should do to debug further what the problem
>> might be ?
>
> Does it always crash for the same user?

No, it crashed:

    4 times today. 3 for the same user and 1 our "quarantine" user

    3 times yesterday. 2 for "quarantine", plus 1 for another user.

The "quarantine" user is a user that get's all suspect spam, and got
almost 4000 messages the last 24 hours. So the failure is not something
that happens very often..

I just tried piping a copy of one of the bounced emails to deliver,
but I couldn't trigger a crash :-(

  -jf